Labor laws allow children as young as twelve years old to work in agriculture with their parent's consent. However, children of all ages can be found working in the fields.
Certified Application Counselor with NC Farmworkers Project
Description of Work
This position will be based in Benson, NC, with frequent travel in surrounding areas. The outreach worker acts under the direction and supervision of the outreach coordinator. S/he is responsible for providing information, follow-up support, and facilitated enrollment assistance to migrant farmworkers who are eligible to purchase health insurance through the federally facilitated Marketplace under the Affordable Care Act. This position requires evening and Sunday hours, a valid NC driver’s license, car insurance, and reliable transportation. This is a part-time (20 hours/week) contract position running from March 1, 2017 - July 31, 2017. Please note that this position is grant funded and will not extend beyond the contract time period. Compensation is $10/hour plus mileage reimbursement for personal car use during work hours.
1. Complete Certified Application Counselor online training and pass certification exam. Comply with all certification requirements and best practices for outreach and enrollment.
2. Conduct home visits to farmworkers to provide education on taxes and the Affordable Care Act. The Certified Application Counselor will include information about eligibility, the individual mandate/penalty, available exemptions, plan options, and the benefits of health insurance.
3. Screen farmworkers’ eligibility for Affordable Care Act and/or exemptions. The Certified Application Counselor will discuss farmworker options to enroll, not enroll, or apply for an exemption.
4. Assist farmworkers with enrollment in health insurance plans through the Marketplace. The Certified Application Counselor will aid farmworkers in understanding deductibles, co-pays, premiums, and co-insurance.
5. Provide follow-up and case management services to help farmworkers maintain their insurance plans, including completing money orders, selecting primary care physicians, troubleshooting problems, filing appeals, and dis-enrolling.
6. Complete exemption and Medicaid application forms, monitor application statuses, and serve as authorized representative for application processes when needed.
7. Communicate with health insurance companies and the Marketplace on behalf of farmworker clients.
8. Document all farmworker encounters on appropriate forms, maintain secure files, and submit program numbers and data reports as needed.
9. Assist with office tasks and data entry.
10. Participate in state trainings and coalition work related to farmworker access to health care.
11. Comply with HIPPA standards and handle personal confidential information with care.
Desirable knowledge, skills, and abilities
· Ability to effectively communicate, both orally and written, in English and Spanish.
· Ability to interview farmworkers with tact, demonstrate cultural sensitivity, and put workers at ease with sharing personal information needed for Marketplace enrollment.
· Experience with farmworkers and/or the Affordable Care Act, and knowledge of health plans and vocabulary (i.e. deductible, co-pay, premium).
· Experience or interest in developing bilingual educational materials and tools for low literacy workers.
· Ability to establish and maintain effective and cordial working relationships with state and local agencies, growers, other employees, and clients involving frequent and difficult negotiation and interaction.
· High School Education, G.E.D. or equivalent training.
· Experience working with farmworkers or low-income Hispanics, and/or experience with health insurance systems, the Affordable Care Act, or the federally facilitated Marketplace.
· Ability to effectively and bilingually communicate (English/Spanish), when appropriate.
·Demonstrated interest in farmworker issues or access to health care and a commitment to farmworker justice.
· Excellent data entry skills and proficient skills navigating Microsoft Word, Excel, and Internet sites
If you are interested in this position, please send your resume and a brief introduction describing your qualifications and interest by email to Anna Jensen at North Carolina Farmworkers Project: email@example.com. If you have questions about the position, send us an email or call the office at 919-701-1306. The position is open until filled.