85% of fruits and vegetables produced in the United States are harvested by hand.
SAF is hiring an Assistant Director!
Student Action with Farmworkers (SAF) Assistant Director Job Announcement
Deadline March 21, 2017
MISSION: Founded in 1992, SAF is a non-profit organization that brings students and farmworkers together to learn about each other's lives, share resources and skills, improve conditions for farmworkers, and build diverse coalitions working for social change. www.saf-unite.org
STAFF SIZE: 7 full-time, 1 part-time, and 50 youth, interns & fellows
ANNUAL BUDGET: $700k
SAF’s Assistant Director supports the Executive Director in managing the human relations, administrative, fundraising, and financial aspects of the organization. The AD supports the staff through managing the organization’s operational systems and serves as the acting director in Executive Director’s absence.
- Support SAF’s overall financial management and annual audit, including entering financial information into QuickBooks and preparing payroll for outside payroll provider
- Manage SAF’s database system with current donor, alumni, and other records and with general troubleshooting, upgrades, and maintenance
- Maintain operating procedures & insurances/retirement and ensure that staff are informed of changes/benefits
- Support Executive Director in preparing for board meetings and materials, as well as onboarding and transitions of SAF staff
- Support individual donor fundraising, including donor acknowledgements, grassroots fundraising, & direct mail
- Manage car maintenance, vendors, government registrations, and other compliance requirements
- Maintain administrative and financial files
- Purchase office equipment, supplies, and computers
- Coordinate SAF’s academic year office internship program & supervise an intern
- Support others programs as needed
SKILLS / QUALIFICATIONS
- Passionate about farmworker justice
- Experience with QuickBooks, basic accounting, and payroll
- Knowledge of data management systems (experience with NEON a plus)
- Experience with general nonprofit management & human resources
- Experience with individual donor fundraising
- Experience with recruiting, training, and supervising students
- Able to take initiative, juggle multiple tasks & pay attention to details
- Willingness to work some nights and weekends
- Associate’s Degree
- Able to make at least a 3-year commitment
- Bilingual in Spanish & English (preferred)
- From farmworker family (preferred)
- SAF alumni (preferred)
HOURS OF WORK: 40-45 hours/week, flexible schedule Mon-Fri and some weekends
SALARY & BENEFITS: $35,100-$50,700 depending on experience; full paid health & dental insurance, vacation, holidays, and personal/sick leave.
LOCATION: Durham, NC
START DATE: May 2017
TO APPLY: By March 21, mail or email (1) a one page cover letter explaining why you want this position and (2) up to three-page resume with 3 references’ names, addresses, phone numbers and email addresses to: SAF Hiring Committee, 1317 W. Pettigrew St., Durham, NC 27705, email@example.com. Questions: Melinda Wiggins, 919-660-3616
SAF is an affirmative action/equal opportunity employer.