According to a 2005 survey, 53% of farmworkers are undocumented (without legal authorization), 25% are United States citizens, and 21% are legal permanent residents.
Witness for Peace Southeast & SAF
Roots and Realities of Migration
Delegation to Oaxaca, Mexico
May 25 - June 3, 2013
Just immigration reform is one of the most important social justice issues facing our country. Economic inequalities send many people to the U.S., where they face discriminatory and punitive policies. Join us on this powerful delegation!
• Learn the impacts of U.S. and international policies on migration.
• Meet with migrants traveling north and those who have returned from the U.S.
• Meet with small scale and organic farmers and visit a Zapotec women's weaving cooperative
• Experience rural Mexican life and hospitality in a home stay visit.
• Learn the most effective ways to work for just immigration reform.
Expenses: $1150 (plus airfare). Includes preparations, ground transportation, meals, lodging, interpretation, and readings. Scholarships and fundraising opportunities are available.