– Joana Tellez Flores, 2021 SAF internEpiscopal Farmworker Ministry There really wasn't a typical day at work at the Episcopal Farmworker Ministry this summer; there was always something different to do and learn. On the days I had outreach, we would start by planning out the sites to visit early in the afternoon and then... [Read more]
– Angel Venegas, 2021 SAF internGood Samaritan Clinic SAF intern Angel Venegas speaks about an issue that was reinforced to him this summer through his outreach work with the Good Samaritan Clinic in NC -- mental health and loneliness among farmworkers. Angel shares the three things he learned that can make a difference in farmworkers'... [Read more]
– Ruhama Tereda, 2021 SAF internPiedmont Health Services This past summer, I drove hundreds of miles through the Piedmont region of North Carolina. Long winding roads were framed by the treeline that extended from rolling hills of mostly tobacco. I’d never seen a tobacco plant in person until this summer. Weeks went by and revealed... [Read more]
– Alejandra Araiza Mendoza, 2021 SAF internNC Farmworkers' Project During my time in the fields, the biggest issue that I witnessed was oppression. Sadly, workers are still the victims of growers' oppression despite all of the achievements that we have been able to make. Much of the mistrust and complications workers face with being able... [Read more]
– Sinai Pacheco-Zamora, 2021 SAF internSC Migrant Education Program SAF intern Sinai Pacheco-Zamora shares what outreach looks like with the South Carolina Migrant Education Program and about her favorite experience so far – teaching her first English class.
– Celeste Ortega-Felix, 2021 SAF internNC Community Health Care Association “Love is profoundly political. Our deepest revolution will come when we understand this truth. Only love can give us the strength to go forward in the midst of heartbreak and misery. Only love can give us the power to reconcile, to redeem, the power to... [Read more]
– Marithza Mondragon, 2021 SAF internAccess East Before my SAF internship I knew about some of the injustices that farmworkers experience while coming to the United States to work. What I did not know was that everyone comes here for a completely different reason, whether it be to raise some money for their daughter's quinceañera... [Read more]
– Maria Echeverri, 2021 SAF internGood Samaritan Clinic Late nights are common for us when it comes to going on outreach. I love being able to see the North Carolina mountains during sunset. For me, this is home. This is the state that I grew up in and the state that I want to serve... [Read more]
Monica Contreras, 2021 SAF internNC Farmworkers' Project SAF intern Monica Contreras shares about an experience doing outreach with the NC Farmworkers' Project mobile clinic and why every day doing outreach with farmworkers is different.
Maira Areguin, 2021 SAF internEast Coast Migrant Head Start Program There is no typical day at the East Coast Migrant Head Start Project (ECMHSP) office in Charleston, SC. We arrive at 8:30AM and settle into our cubicles. Usually, Ms. Dana has already started her day and is in and out of meetings in her office. ... [Read more]
Joanna Olguin, 2021 SAF internLegal Aid NC-Farmworker Unit I am halfway through my internship, and I have experienced everything. I witnessed injustice upon listening to the stories of my fellow farmworkers. I witnessed grace upon hearing attorneys confidently stand up for farmworkers. I witnessed courage when I saw farmworkers and paisanos reach out for help. ... [Read more]
Mari Juarez, 2021 SAF internNC Farmworkers' Project Each time I go out to do outreach, I see injustice. Isn’t that the reason why we are here? Why this organization and others like it have been assembled. This summer I am interning with the North Carolina Farmworkers' Project and although I am well aware of the... [Read more]