Ellerbe Creek Watershed Association (ECWA) is a dynamic land trust and watershed organization in Durham, NC that manages almost 500 acres of land for nature, water quality and public enjoyment (www.ellerbecreek.org).
The full-time Outreach and Communications Coordinator is responsible for our organization’s day-to-day engagement with the community as well as planning and implementing our overall communications strategy in coordination with all staff. As such, s/he must collaborate and coordinate closely with staff in all ECWA programs as well as our fundraising, engagement, and local government/outreach committees and key partner organizations.
- Ability to frequently work nights and weekends with a flexible schedule to accommodate committee meetings and other potential volunteer interactions.
- Strong ties to Communities of Color and/or Immigrant Communities in Durham or demonstrated ability to build such ties.
- Strong commitment to viewing our outreach and engagement through an anti-racist and equity lens.
- Passion for environmental issues and experience working on environmental issues either personally or professionally.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills and ability to work with a wide array of community members in a way that builds positive relationships.
- Ability to multi-task and learn quickly on the job.
- Interest in working outside (through field trips to key preserves).
Preferred but not required:
- Bilingual in Spanish and English
- Professional experience with fundraising software
- Community organizing experience
- Event planning experience
- Manage social media (Instagram, Facebook, Twitter), email blasts/mass communications, and online event calendar
- Manage and maintain ECWA website
- Coordinate the production of ECWA’s Annual Report and Spring and Fall Journals
- Help program staff create visuals for their public facing needs with a consistent ECWA look using our Style Guide
- Support writing/editing and distribution of press releases
- Increase brand recognition of ECWA in the watershed
- Assist Community Relations Director by supporting communications and outreach to communities targeted by our engagement program work.
- Set up online registration and marketing and lend support for events coordinated by water management and stewardship programs.
- Coordinate attendance at 4-6 events per year with a combination of volunteer and staff support (Bimbe, Eno River Festival, Earth Day, Latino Festival, Center Fest, etc)
- Serve as staff liaison/coordinator for ECWA’s engagement and local government/policy committees.
- Support ECWA in engaging the entire population of the watershed, especially areas and groups of people who have been historically underrepresented by ECWA.
- Engage with new AND potential donors and volunteers to bring them in and welcome them to the organization and connect them where appropriate.
- Support fundraising campaigns and events by writing campaign content (letters, emails, social media, signage, posters, etc), and creating campaign materials (buckslips, etc)
- Support fundraising goals by creating promotional materials (sponsorship packets, etc.)
- Serve as a member of the fundraising committee and help with fundraising strategy and implementation.
- Support writing and distribution of public facing donor acknowledgement/recognition
- Be familiar with Salesforce and able to use the software to find information on donors and export information as needed.
Partnership Building (10%)
- In collaboration with the Executive Director, build partnerships with key community groups, nonprofits, and government entities to ensure that we maintain clear lines of communication with these entities
- Maintain and manage close relationships with key environmental education and education groups and coordinate with these groups, our stewardship staff, and the engagement committee on ways to ensure our preserves are a resource for those looking to get kids outdoors and learning about nature.
Pay range: $37,500-$43,500 depending upon experience, plus generous health insurance and retirement benefits.
Email a 1-page cover letter outlining your interest in and qualifications for the position along with a professional resume or CV that details your experience and a writing sample to Rachel Cohn at firstname.lastname@example.org or mail to PO Box 2679 Durham, NC 27715. Please include Outreach and Communications Coordinator in the email subject line or on the envelope. ECWA will consider applications on a rolling basis and hopes to begin interviews in mid-June 2021.
People of Color, formerly incarcerated people, queer and non-binary identified individuals, and women are especially encouraged to apply.
ECWA provides equal employment opportunity without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, disability, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity, sex, age, or genetic information. ECWA is committed to recruiting, hiring, and promoting qualified women, individuals with disabilities, and veterans.