Toxic Free NC aims to advance environmental health and justice in North Carolina by advocating for safe policies and promoting change to reduce exposure to toxic chemicals used in agriculture and consumer products. We’re seeking a Policy Advocate to ensure that public policy is responsive to those most affected by pesticide and toxic chemical exposure. As a champion for human and environmental health and justice in North Carolina, you are a strong communicator, well-versed in legislative policy-making at the national, state, and local levels; can demonstrate prior success in mobilizing people and groups; and are skilled at coalition building and developing powerful campaign strategies. You are passionate about transitioning to a just and sustainable food system, and shifting the regulatory paradigm from “risk mitigation” toward precautionary protection of community health and safety.
Tell us about your experience:
- Advocating for the protection of public health and the environment
- Increasing public awareness and involvement in policy-making
- Developing campaign strategies and work plans
- Leading issues-based campaigns
- Strengthening coalition partnerships
- Preparing policy briefs, position papers, and action alerts
- Serving as a policy expert and regulatory watchdog
We want to hear more about your qualifications. Here’s what we need:
- Professional public policy experience working on environmental or health advocacy issues, including experience turning legislators into champions
- Demonstrated success planning and executing issues-based campaigns
- Must be a strong written and verbal communicator, able to synthesize and persuasively convey highly technical information, including principles of chemistry, to any audience
- High level of comfort with public speaking and presentation delivery
- Strategic, dynamic, and solutions-oriented thinker
- Training or educational background in environmental policy, public policy, environmental science, public health, chemistry, or a related field
- Embodies Toxic Free NC’s mission and values, including a commitment to addressing systemic inequity
- Must have a valid driver’s license and ability to travel throughout North Carolina and occasional travel outside the state
- Knowledge of food system, organic agriculture, pollinators, and/or environmental justice issues a big plus.
Toxic Free North Carolina is committed to creating an inclusive working environment. Women, candidates of color and those with diverse backgrounds are encouraged to apply. Toxic Free North Carolina is an equal opportunity employer.
Benefits: This is a full-time position (40 hours/week) with paid vacation, holidays, and health benefits. The salary range is $45,000 annually. The job requires access to a vehicle for frequent travel around the Triangle and occasional travel around the state.
To Apply: Send us a cover letter, résumé, two writing samples (not more than five pages each) and three professional references to email@example.com with the subject line “Policy Advocate Application.” No phone calls, please. Applications will be accepted until May 24.
Deadline: May 24. Details: https://bit.ly/32CUSsv
About Toxic Free NC
Founded in 1986, Toxic Free NC advances environmental health and justice by advocating for safe alternatives to harmful pesticides and chemicals. We focus on reducing exposure for the people whose health is most at risk from toxic chemicals — including low-income communities, migrant farmworkers, children, and pregnant women — while working alongside these communities to address the root causes of pesticide pollution. Through community engagement, organizing, and targeting corporate and legislative policies, we’re working to achieve our vision of a toxic-free, just and equitable North Carolina where human and environmental health are valued, respected and enjoyed by all. Come join our small and mighty team!