UE seeks a project organizer to assist on its campaigns to organize municipal workers in the Hampton Roads area of Virginia. This work is part of UE’s Southern Worker Justice Campaign (SWJC) which focuses on empowering African American blue-collar public sector workers in North Carolina and Virginia through education on their rights. The campaign helps workers develop their own strategies for building power and organization to collectively win improvements in their wages, working conditions, and racial justice, particularly through advocating for collective bargaining rights and reallocation of local funds away from over-bloated police departments. You can read more about SWJC at https://southernworkerjustice.org/. UE is an independent member-run union with a nationwide membership and a proud history of progressive political action and aggressive struggle to improve workplace conditions. Persons of color are urged to apply. Women are urged to apply. Visit our website at www.ueunion.org to learn more.
· Conduct worker outreach to generate organizing campaigns in identified workplaces
· Lead one-on-one and group meetings with workers
· Identify and develop workplace leaders
· Motivate workers to take action
· Build union organizing committees capable of winning union recognition
· Maintain accurate information on worksite site and campaign activities
· Ability to work independently
· Willingness to work long hours, including nights and weekends
· Prior organizing experience in a union or community organization
· Basic computer and writing skills
· A strong commitment to social justice.
Salary for this position is $1000/week. To apply, please email a resume and cover letter to [email protected].