TITLE: Senior Lead Organizer
LOCATION: North Carolina, South Carolina, Georgia, Alabama.
Job Type: Full Time
Reports To: Coordinator
Supervises: This position does supervise staff.
SALARY: Salary is commensurate based on experience.
Purpose of Position:
To represent and assist the SEIU-NFFWU in organizing; to take responsibility for major campaigns and to act in a leadership role with respect to program and other staff; to perform advanced training for organizers, staff, and worker leaders of NFFWU; and to design and implement organizing goals of NFFWU.
About SEIU NFFWU
SEIU NFFWU is working to expand the movement and deepen the successful fights to raise employment standards and unite workers in organizing their union in the fast-food industry through national, state and community campaigns.
SEIU NFFWU is affiliated with the Service Employees International Union (SEIU), which has more than 2 million members in the US, Canada and Puerto Rico. NFFWU is united with those 2.2 million members in a shared belief in the dignity of workers and the value of their work, and in a commitment to a more just and humane society.
Performs a wide range of duties as assigned by the Union, including but not limited to the following:
- Manages large turf or multiple small campaigns including organizing, comprehensive campaigns, strike actions, and political mobilization/action.
- Works with field staff and coordinates aspects of the campaign including vision, strategy, timeline, communication, community outreach, and politics.
- Authority to hire staff, discipline or effectively recommend the same.
- Directs a small team of organizing staff including scheduling, assigning turf, debriefing, evaluating and training.
- Develops and implements training for staff and worker leaders on the campaign to further develop skills and understanding of the campaign.
- Evaluates staff on their performance while on the campaign.
- Can oversee management of the campaign data.
- Performs other duties as required.
- Must be available for travel with overnight stays required.
- Long and irregular hours.
Education and Experience:
- Three to five years of work in labor union and/or progressive organizing.
- Demonstrated experience in developing and leading organizing campaigns.
- Previous experience with the labor movement or other advocacy organizations preferred.
- Must be able to act and organize time with extreme independence.
- A high level of judgment, ability to take initiative and work independently; must be able to work with elected leaders, worker leaders, and staff in complex and sometimes political situations.
- Must be able to handle multiple “priority” projects simultaneously and meet established deadlines.
- Reports to the Organizing Coordinator and/or Organizing Director.
- Excellent writing, verbal and analytical communication skills.
- Thorough knowledge of organizing and political campaign strategies.
- Ability to develop and train staff and worker leaders in the skills needed for the campaign.
- Knowledge of organizing campaign database management tools such as VAN, Action Network or other similar applications. Skill in the use of Microsoft Office programs.
- Ability to write and proofread campaign communications materials.
Work is generally performed from a field office setting or other location to complete the required assignments of the position. Long and extended hours and some overnight travel may be required.
SEIU NFFWU staff enjoys top notch benefits including comprehensive health benefits, major medical, dental and vision for employee and eligible dependents, competitive salaries, generous holiday and vacation policies, and a 401(K) Plan.
Please send résumé to: [email protected]. In the subject line, please include the location and job title.
SEIU NFFWU is an Equal Opportunity employer that values and respects the diversity of its staff. Women and people of color are encouraged to apply.