"At first a lot of us had stage fright, but everyone has put on an amazing performance every time. The interns are enjoying themselves and also seeing the joy it brings to farmworkers. It is overall such a fun environment for all of us filled with laughter and good energy." – Maria Juarez, SAF Program Assistant
- SAF's theater group has been performing the play “Dichos del Campo” to farmworkers at labor camps in North Carolina. The play covers topics farmworkers may be experiencing such as Covid-19 vaccine hesitancy, green tobacco sickness, heat illness, and how to find resources using our Conéctate Carolina app.
- We've been busy welcoming new Executive Director Sylvia Zapata Shoemaker to our work this month! Sylvia has been participating in student trainings, going on theater outreach with interns and farmworkers, and getting to know staff, board, and supporters. We're so happy to have her!
- SAF is working on a grant-funded project to address the lack of health information for migrant farmworkers and their families in partnership with the Laupus Health Sciences Library at East Carolina University and the North Carolina State University’s Extension Toxicology program. Read about it here.
- SAF needs grassroots fundraisers! We need 8-10 supporters to run a fundraising campaign for SAF this summer. We'll work with you to create your message in a personalized web page so your friends and family can learn about farmworkers and support SAF's work! Contact Sandra to sign up.
- A reminder that SAF has a new office space. Update your contact info for SAF here.