Adelante Education Coalition is a statewide education coalition that focuses on issues affecting immigrant students along with their families. The coalition is a collaboration among nonprofit organizations, educational institutions, and individuals that foster advocacy, public policy and community organizing to achieve through their collective power, in-state tuition for all of North Carolina’s students, regardless of their immigration status.
We are working to ensure that North Carolina has a high-quality K-12 and post-secondary public education system where students will succeed and excel without regard to race, ethnicity, national origin, language, culture, socioeconomic or immigration status.
Position and Responsibilities
The Program Coordinator reports to the Adelante Education Coalition’s Steering Committee but works independently to coordinate and achieve the coalition’s goals. The Program Coordinator primarily builds the coalition’s capacity and resources to engage and organize immigrant youth to support our advocacy efforts. In collaboration with coalition members, the Adelante Coordinator facilitates communication, provides resources, and helps with planning and coordination of coalition activities, such as our quarterly member meetings.
Specifically, the coordinator will be responsible for the following:
- Create and schedule meetings, send invites, maintain, and update full group and work group contact lists.
- Meet regularly with and monitor progress of the Steering Committee’s Subcommittees and Working Groups, providing support and facilitation as appropriate;
- Manage communication within coalition and to the community: distribute meeting minutes to members; create and monitor content for e-newsletters and social media, such as collecting images, identifying relevant news reports, and making sure that the coalition website is up to date and relevant; and drafting content about Adelante’s work;
- Facilitate coalition collaboration with local governments, schools, businesses, churches, and others;
- Support the development and implementation of our coalition’s work plan, including our short- and long-term goals;
- Maintain and document accurate records for financial expenditures; and
- Assist with fundraising efforts by researching grant opportunities.
Ideal Candidate Profile:
- Able to provide leadership, to network and to build diverse relationships and teams.
- Self-starter, goal-oriented, works well collaboratively and also independently.
- 1+ years experience in coalition building, advocacy, and/or organizing, with a special preference for working with youth.
- Lived experience in navigating the immigration system or as an undocumented student.
- Working knowledge of the NC political process, or commitment to learning.
- Experience with project management, grant writing and administration are preferred but not required.
- High school diploma and 1-3 years of professional experience required.
- Excellent verbal, written and communication skills. Bilingual in Spanish is required.
- Proficiency in Google Drive including Docs, Sheets, Forms and Slides. Microsoft Software is also accepted.
- Some travel is required. Willingness to work periodic weekends and evenings.
- The Coordinator position requires frequent use of a computer, a workspace, a phone, and the occasional use of a vehicle or ability to coordinate their own transportation for travel. Adelante will provide the coordinator with a computer and mileage reimbursement for their work related travels. The other items must be provided by the candidate.
- The Coordinator position must set their own schedule and priorities based on the Adelante’s goals as stated in its work plan. The contract for this position is for one year with an opportunity to renew for an additional year.
Applications & Project Amount:
- The Steering Committee is looking to contract with an individual to implement Adelante Education Coalition’s advocacy plan. The implementation of this project will take an estimated 20/hours per week and pays at a rate of $20.00/hour.
To Apply & Hiring Timeline
- Priority Application Deadline: 04/01/2023
- Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis with the priority deadline set above.
- The role will remain open until filled.
- To apply, email cover letter and résumé to [email protected] with the subject line “Adelante Program Coordinator” and Your Name.
Should you require any accommodation during the application process, please indicate this on your application and we will work with you to meet your accessibility needs.