– Rachel Scrudato, Participante del programa de SAF de 2021FLOC – Comité Organizador de Trabajadores Agrícolas (Farm Labor Organizing Committee) Cuando le preguntaron cuáles son sus esperanzas para el futuro, un trabajador agrícola dio esta sencilla respuesta: “los mismos derechos, las mismas oportunidades, y la libertad que los ciudadanos tienen”. Es una injusticia que a... [Read more]
Apuntes de campo
Apuntes de campo es el blog donde los estudiantes de Estudiantes en Acción con Campesinos (SAF) comparten historias de su trabajo directo en el campo con los trabajadores, el trabajo organizativo de base y las actividades de defensoría. Y también donde los trabajadores agrícolas comparten sus propias historias y esperanzas de cambio, escribiendo en el lenguaje que les resulte más cómodo a cada uno.
– Brandy Fuentes, 2021 SAF internNew Frame LLC SAF intern Brandy Fuentes shares about the importance of seeing more diversity in the NC General Assembly to address worker issues like education equity and workers' compensation and how she sees change happening.
– Kevin Gomez-Gonzalez, 2021 SAF internNC Justice Center I’ve spoken about the buses before. The ones that stood guard near the edges of tobacco fields that bordered the roads in my hometown, resting after ushering back groups of workers. This summer, however, I finally saw them up close. I saw how large they were. How... [Read more]
– Piper Strzelecki, 2021 SAF internEast Coast Migrant Head Start Program During my summer with SAF, one of the most significant disparities I noticed came to my attention at a free mobile health clinic that we hosted at a Head Start Center for migrant farmworkers and their families. This whole day highlighted the lack of... [Read more]
– Ana Rojas-Gabriel, 2021 SAF Program AssistantStudent Action with Farmworkers This summer, I’ve had the pleasure of partnering with SAF for a second year as a Program Assistant. In this role, I have been able to gain experience in project management, overseeing the behind-the-scenes of working with a nonprofit organization and learning more about the... [Read more]
– Joana Tellez Flores, 2021 SAF internEpiscopal Farmworker Ministry There really wasn't a typical day at work at the Episcopal Farmworker Ministry this summer; there was always something different to do and learn. On the days I had outreach, we would start by planning out the sites to visit early in the afternoon and then... [Read more]
– Angel Venegas, 2021 SAF internGood Samaritan Clinic SAF intern Angel Venegas speaks about an issue that was reinforced to him this summer through his outreach work with the Good Samaritan Clinic in NC -- mental health and loneliness among farmworkers. Angel shares the three things he learned that can make a difference in farmworkers'... [Read more]
– Ruhama Tereda, 2021 SAF internPiedmont Health Services This past summer, I drove hundreds of miles through the Piedmont region of North Carolina. Long winding roads were framed by the treeline that extended from rolling hills of mostly tobacco. I’d never seen a tobacco plant in person until this summer. Weeks went by and revealed... [Read more]
– Alejandra Araiza Mendoza, 2021 SAF internNC Farmworkers' Project During my time in the fields, the biggest issue that I witnessed was oppression. Sadly, workers are still the victims of growers' oppression despite all of the achievements that we have been able to make. Much of the mistrust and complications workers face with being able... [Read more]
– Sinai Pacheco-Zamora, 2021 SAF internSC Migrant Education Program SAF intern Sinai Pacheco-Zamora shares what outreach looks like with the South Carolina Migrant Education Program and about her favorite experience so far – teaching her first English class.
– Celeste Ortega-Felix, 2021 SAF internNC Community Health Care Association “Love is profoundly political. Our deepest revolution will come when we understand this truth. Only love can give us the strength to go forward in the midst of heartbreak and misery. Only love can give us the power to reconcile, to redeem, the power to... [Read more]
– Marithza Mondragon, 2021 SAF internAccess East Before my SAF internship I knew about some of the injustices that farmworkers experience while coming to the United States to work. What I did not know was that everyone comes here for a completely different reason, whether it be to raise some money for their daughter's quinceañera... [Read more]